A growing collection of some of the memorable quotations that I've encountered as I travel through (and meet people from) different regions of the world. Many have been found scribed on the walls of hostels from travelers past.
- A lifetime of heartache can be created in an instant.
- Almost anything is possible, but remember the almost.
- Be the change you want to see in the world.
- Chase butterflies and they will never be caught, watch butterflies and they will come to you.
- Choice, not chance, determines destiny.
- Collect all the pretty shells from the beach and you will destroy the beauty that was that beach.
- Decay is inherent in all compound things.
- Distance is to love as wind is to fire—it extinguishes the small and enkindles the great.
- Flowers feed the soul.
- Have you ever heard a butterfly screaming?
- If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live.
- If you want 1 year of prosperity, grow grain. If you want 10 years of prosperity, grow trees. If you want 100 years of prosperity, grow people.
- If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.
- Is it possible to love the tree and hate the fruit?
- It is far better to understand a little than to misunderstand a lot.
- Let your main desire be the desire not to desire.
- Life is too important to take seriously.
- Live for the moment; look to the future.
- Man's honesty does not increase with wealth, rather the contrary is true.
- No one means all they say, and very few say all they mean.
- Observe cats, how they can sit for hours and just watch, they are not stressed, they do not panic.
- Only the wisest and stupidest of men never change.
- People will forget tomorrow and the good you do today. Do good anyway.
- Power is so characteristically calm, that calmness in itself has the aspect of power.
- Success brings false friends and truer enemies.
- The past is history. The future is a mystery. This moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.
- The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
- There is nothing finer than resting after doing nothing—laziness is resting before doing nothing.
- Those in a hurry do not arrive.
- Those things that hurt, instruct.
- Those who love most have parted most.
- To profit without risk, experience without danger, and reward without work is as impossible as it is to live without being born.
- Tranquillity is not the same as laziness. Laziness is the habit of resting before you are tired.
- Travel is necessary—everything else is fatigue and boredom.
- Traveler, as you pass by you are now where I once was. I am now where you will be. So be prepared to follow me.
(written on a tombstone)
- Trust is something that takes years to build and seconds to destroy.
- We live in a society where pizza gets to your house before the police.
- While you are killing time remember that time is killing you.
- Who is richer, he who has much and wants more or he who has little and wants less?
- Work like you don't need the money. Dance like nobodies looking. Love like it's never going to hurt.