Food Poisoning in Mexico
Traveler advisories and reported cases of food poisoning and foodborne illness in Mexico.
Have you fallen ill from food or drink, had food poisoning in Mexico, or know the details of another traveler who has? Please submit information about what was consumed, where, or what others should avoid consuming.
True food poisoning occurs when a person ingests a contaminating chemical or a natural toxin, while most cases of foodborne illness are caused by a variety of foodborne pathogenic bacteria, viruses, or parasites that contaminate food. Such contamination usually arises from improper handling, preparation, or food storage.
Symptoms typically begin several hours to several days after ingestion and can include one or more of the following: nausea, abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea, fever, headache, or fatigue. In most cases the body is able to permanently recover after a short period of acute discomfort and illness. However, foodborne illness can result in permanent health problems or even death, especially in babies, young children, pregnant women (and their fetuses), elderly people, sick people and others with weak immune systems.
It's typically in the best interest of a business to keep their customers healthy, but is there a particular restaurant or market in Mexico that you know of which consistently has problems with health and hygiene? Are there any food or drink items that travelers should exercise extreme caution with while visiting Mexico?
Further reading about foodborne illness