Food Poisoning in Malta

Traveler advisories and reported cases of food poisoning and foodborne illness in Malta.

Have you fallen ill from food or drink, had food poisoning in Malta, or know the details of another traveler who has? Please submit information about what was consumed, where, or what others should avoid consuming.

True food poisoning occurs when a person ingests a contaminating chemical or a natural toxin, while most cases of foodborne illness are caused by a variety of foodborne pathogenic bacteria, viruses, or parasites that contaminate food. Such contamination usually arises from improper handling, preparation, or food storage.

Symptoms typically begin several hours to several days after ingestion and can include one or more of the following: nausea, abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea, fever, headache, or fatigue. In most cases the body is able to permanently recover after a short period of acute discomfort and illness. However, foodborne illness can result in permanent health problems or even death, especially in babies, young children, pregnant women (and their fetuses), elderly people, sick people and others with weak immune systems.

It's typically in the best interest of a business to keep their customers healthy, but is there a particular restaurant or market in Malta that you know of which consistently has problems with health and hygiene? Are there any food or drink items that travelers should exercise extreme caution with while visiting Malta?

Further reading about foodborne illness

Related Catagories: Food Poisoning, Malta

Food Poisoning in Malta Photos:

Food Poisoning in Malta Videos:

Submitted Links and Comments about Food Poisoning in Malta:

Gravatar Avatar

julie.roche

March 2nd, 2008

food poisoning contracted at tre angeli restaurant selima 25.2.08 husband had spagetti carbonara due to either poor food hygine or salmonella

Gravatar Avatar

Kevin Jones

January 13th, 2015

3 days into Malta of a 7 day stay in January 2015, I ate an English Breakfast in Sliema, waterfront at Tre Angeli, not 100% sure if this is the place, but right after this meal I believe got the beginning of strong TD (Travelers diarrhea), which I had for 5 days! Even longer than from Mexico, which I got all 4 or 5 times going there! Now, this is also after drinking water from the Sinks of hotels for 3+ days through, my Brita bottle with a brita filter. I later was advised to not drink the tap water either, due to salt or heavy nitrates, etc.. (tiny island nation), so I dismissed water as the primary culprit.

Submit a New Link or Comment:

Note: Comments are open to everyone. To reduce spam and reward regular contributors, only submissions from first-time commenters and/or those containing hyperlinks are moderated, and will appear after approval. Relevant content contribution to this article is encouraged; however, off-topic and "me too" remarks are subject to pruning. Your e-mail address will never be publicly disclosed or abused.